Our reputation depends on each and every employee – on how we live our corporate values, serve our customers, and honor our commitments. At Barry Callebaut our values are more than just words. These words carry great weight – and reflect how we interact with our colleagues, with external business partners, and with all of our stakeholders along the value chain. They reflect how we believe business should be done – responsibility. We believe that achieving profitable growth in our business, contributing to sustainable economic and social development as well as safeguarding the environment go hand in hand.
Code of Conduct
Our employees behave in a way that reflects our corporate values and our good corporate citizenship in all their business dealings. Our principles and guidelines are set forth in our Code of Conduct, which is available in 13 languages and signed by all employees when they join the company. Adhering to the Code is every employee’s responsibility.
Our Code of Conduct covers the following areas:
- Product safety and quality
- Conflicts of interest
- Gifts, hospitality and entertainment
- Fair competition
- Corruption and bribery
- Safeguarding company assets and reputation including use of social media
- Workplace conduct
- Corporate social responsibility and sustainability
Health and Safety
We can only thrive if we have healthy employees. Barry Callebaut is therefore committed to providing safe and healthy working conditions. Our main objectives are to:
- minimize injury and accidents in our plants
- promote awareness of all aspects of health and safety
- encourage the active involvement of employees in health and safety management
- comply with all relevant laws, rules and regulations in the countries where we operate
In order to achieve these objectives, each site is responsible for the execution of this policy and for setting up a Health & Safety Management system. This system should cover the following elements:
- performance measurement targets for Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- action plans for continuous improvement
- employee training to encourage them to actively participate in the health and safety programs and to help them understand their responsibility
- processes which help to proactively detect and eliminate health and safety risks
As a Barry Callebaut employee, you have the opportunity to become involved in diverse sustainability projects, which work towards better livelihoods for cocoa farmers and initiatives to ensure a sustainable cocoa supply.
Our Program “Winning Together” regularly brings together employees from all parts of the world to work towards a defined mission. In 2013 employees took part in various water sport activities in order to draw attention to our Water Program in cocoa growing communities.
At Barry Callebaut it is our policy to reward peak performance. The Excellence Award recognizes managers and their teams who are willing to go the extra mile, who are putting all their passion into their work and thus have made a positive impact on the company’s performance in the past fiscal year.
Every year the “Chairman’s Award” is presented to Barry Callebaut employees who have made an outstanding contribution to social and community projects, as well as having demonstrated excellent performance at work. The Chairman’s Award was inaugurated in 1995 by the late Klaus Jacobs, the former Chairman of Jacobs Holding AG and founder of Barry Callebaut. Since then, the Chairman’s Award has been given to a selected number of employees each year.